This is a stressful time for everyone. It is crucial to keep your body and mind relaxed, although previous go-to spots such as spas, pools, and bars are closed indefinitely. Getting a professional-grade deep tissue massage is also far more challenging with quarantine protocols in effect. However, taking regular walks or runs are common ways that many people have been breaking up their time in quarantine, and proper stretching or muscle exercises can help prevent stiffness and back pain. Here are a few quick and easy stretches that beginners can do:
Standing Side Stretch
This classic stretch is easy to do and perfect for preventing the back stiffness that comes with sitting up at a desk all day. To perform a standing side stretch:
- Start in a standing position with your feet together
- Raise both your arms up while bringing your hands together
- Lean to the left, then re-straighten your back while keeping your hands together and your arms as high as you can
- Repeat step three, but lean to the right
Hold this stretch for as long as you can. It shouldn’t take long and can relax your back for the rest of the day!
This is a simple, fun stretch that you can do while sitting in bed in the morning. If you’re going to be sitting at a desk all day, it can be very healthy to relax your arms and shoulders in the morning. Here’s how to do a cat pose:
- Start by sitting on your knees on a bed or a yoga mat
- Lean forward while extending your arms in front of you
- Elevate your posterior and lower your head while keeping your arms stretched forward
The forward hang is another great stretch for relieving tension in your back after too much sitting. You can do it in just a few minutes away from your desk — just follow these steps:
- Stand straight with your feet shoulder-length apart and your knees slightly bent
- Slowly bend forward with your hands clasped together behind your back
- Bend until you see your knees in front of your face
This is a great stretch that works on muscles in both your arms and legs.
Quarantine is not easy for anyone, but keeping your mind and body relaxed can improve your mental and physical health, as well as make it easier to follow indefinite social distancing protocols. For more information on muscle relaxation, as well as the benefits of massage therapy in Cherry Hill, reach out to the experts at SV Massage today!